First Peoples House

The First Peoples House was completed in August 2009. The house provides an academic and cultural centre for Indigenous students, and a welcoming space on campus for the broader community.

Extensive consultations with local Indigenous communities and the campus community informed the design and planning for this striking addition to the centre of our campus. The house will play an important role in linking UVic with the community in the years ahead.

This 1,196sqm multi-purpose educational facility is the only major wood structure located on the University of Victoria Campus. The University made an exception allowing a wood structure clad in cedar as this material is of symbolic and cultural importance to the First Nations People along the Northwest Coast. The Canada Green Building Council officially recognized the building, opened in 2010, with LEED®  Gold certification.

Project Statistics
Client
University of Victoria
Project Type
Higher Education
Location
British Columbia
Vancouver Island
Size (m2)
1196
Completion Date
2010
Kane's Role
LEED Project Manager
Status
Gold Certified
Rating System
LEED NC
Services
LEED Project Management
Key Performance Indicators

TBD